Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Nitzer Ebb - That Total Age (1987)

I've been in a phase recently, where, if the music I'm listening to doesn't flirt with questionable political ideologies or symbols (either as po-mo concept art or genuine interest in extremist politics), I'm not interested. Via my attempts fill the always-empty hole in my soul with music, I found this blog: I Am Surrounded By Incompetence (highly recommended reading). And, on this blog,I found this Nitzer Ebb record, which I have not been able to stop listening to. I urge everyone who maybe thought the KMFDM song on the Mortal Kombat soundtrack was cool to really get into this.

Nitzer Ebb uses minimalist structure to create a stark, bludgeoning songs that evoke images of feral humans warring in the streets of a failed industrial megalopolis. It's no surprise, then, that Detroit techno musicians such as Derrick May have acknowledged the influence of the ol' Nitzer.

Also, I really like dudes yelling in my ear about muscle and hate, because that is basically what my internal dialogue is saying to my all the time.

MUSCLE & HATE MUSCLE & HATE MUSCLE & HATE

Huh good thing I've been looking into meditation recently.

7 comments:

Roger Camden said...

I was a full decade too late
but EBM was my jam in high school

Todd said...

If there's anything that I should really be into that I don't know about, tell me!

sara said...

Classic! I actually got into this band by a hunt for tapes at the record store that had "wierd" names. Turned out to sound like most of what i was listening to, only better.

Peter said...

I was watching Boyd Rice videos the other day. You and I have a "Spirit Link".

Todd said...

Instead of becoming a skinhead, you should become a neofolk guy.

Anonymous said...

All about "Join In The Chant (Front 242 Remix)"

Todd said...

Whoa Steve, I don't know if I can get down with extremist politics like that!