Saturday, October 4, 2008

Luiz Bonfá - Introspection (1972)

So if someone were to tell me that an album is "absolutely breath-taking," I would pretty much be thinking, "Whatever, giant dork." However, I am the giant dork right now. This thing is absolutely breath-taking.

Luiz Bonfá, on solo guitar, seriously cannot stop playing beautiful and inspiring melodies. I hope to someday understand the chord voicings that he's accompanying himself with, because the flow from jagged to smooth to ethereal to almost creepy is so perfectly controlled, it makes my head spin. Everything is so fucking cohesive, too. Bonfá creates tension and releases it as gracefully as I've ever heard; these songs take you all over the place, and you don't even realize it. You're not even paying attention to what you're listening to, because you think fairies are kissing your eardrums and it is a new experience for you.

Writing about this is inspiring me to go work on my fingerstyle playing, so c-ya

13 comments:

John said...

It is awfully pretty.

erik b and rakim said...

nice, writeup, loser~

Stephen said...

your blog makes me want to be funnier on mine.

Todd said...

Steve you have a powerful and well-developed sense of humor - why not share it with the world?

Pat said...

I've been listening to this record recently, and it's really good and reminds me of a few jams you might not have heard.

The first is Pat Metheny's One Quiet Night. You probably know him already as the jazz guitarist whose work always sounds really 80s. One Quiet Night is not so cheesy, and even his Norah Jones' cover is good. Highly recommended.

Also, James Blackshaw's The Cloud of Unknowing. I guess he's a virtuoso and all, but this record, for all its virtuosity, is pretty ambient too, and I guess that's why I like it.

Nice post.

Todd said...

Man, Metheny rules. I am probably into his stuff that you think sounds really 80s, but I haven't heard One Quiet Night. Loading it down, and it will go on my playlist later today.

Haven't heard this Blackshaw fool, but you've steered me well in the past so I'll load that down, too.

Pat said...

I agree that Metheny rules, but the production on his songs always sounds so fucking dated! Have you heard American Garage? So good, but so corny too.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great album. I wasn't familiar with this one. LOVE Jacaranda (as well as most of his output) and look forward to this. Great review too.

Durge & The Oldies said...

I'm new to your blog and just want to say that the combination of the music with your great commentary on each has been fun stuff. This Bonfa is intriguing...thanks!

PYITE said...

Hello there, I have been dying to get a chance to listen to this album. Would you be capable of reuploading this nugget?
Thank you in advance, from France with hope!
D.

Todd said...

E-mail me and I'll get it to you.

At Last Sound said...

yes me too! I need this album!!

Todd said...

E-mail me!